talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

JPG vs. PNG in CSpace?

MF
Megan Forbes
Tue, May 10, 2022 3:07 PM

This question is from one of our newer implementers at the Boston Athenaeum:

We're currently implementing CollectionSpace at the Boston Athenaeum. We're working on standardizing our processes for ingesting images into CollectionSpace and we've got a quick question.

I saw that CollectionSpace allows for upload of TIFFs, JPGs, and PNGs. We're currently deciding between JPGs and PNGs as our standard filetype. Is there any particular difference in the way that CollectionSpace handles either of those filetypes? For example, irrespective of file size, is the software more reliable or faster with one or the other? Are there any other reasons to choose one over the other in regard to CollectionSpace's functionality?

Megan Forbes
CollectionSpace Program Manager
megan.forbes@lyrasis.org
800.999.8558 x2917

This question is from one of our newer implementers at the Boston Athenaeum: We're currently implementing CollectionSpace at the Boston Athenaeum. We're working on standardizing our processes for ingesting images into CollectionSpace and we've got a quick question. I saw that CollectionSpace allows for upload of TIFFs, JPGs, and PNGs. We're currently deciding between JPGs and PNGs as our standard filetype. Is there any particular difference in the way that CollectionSpace handles either of those filetypes? For example, irrespective of file size, is the software more reliable or faster with one or the other? Are there any other reasons to choose one over the other in regard to CollectionSpace's functionality? Megan Forbes CollectionSpace Program Manager megan.forbes@lyrasis.org 800.999.8558 x2917
BC
Blake Carver
Tue, May 10, 2022 6:34 PM

None that I'm aware of.

Blake Carver
Systems Administrator
blake.carver@lyrasis.org
800.999.8558 x 2912

None that I'm aware of. Blake Carver Systems Administrator blake.carver@lyrasis.org 800.999.8558 x 2912 ________________________________ From: Megan Forbes <megan.forbes@lyrasis.org> Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 11:07 AM To: CollectionSpace Talk List <talk@lists.collectionspace.org> Cc: Derek Murphy <murphy@bostonathenaeum.org> Subject: [Talk] JPG vs. PNG in CSpace? This question is from one of our newer implementers at the Boston Athenaeum: We're currently implementing CollectionSpace at the Boston Athenaeum. We're working on standardizing our processes for ingesting images into CollectionSpace and we've got a quick question. I saw that CollectionSpace allows for upload of TIFFs, JPGs, and PNGs. We're currently deciding between JPGs and PNGs as our standard filetype. Is there any particular difference in the way that CollectionSpace handles either of those filetypes? For example, irrespective of file size, is the software more reliable or faster with one or the other? Are there any other reasons to choose one over the other in regard to CollectionSpace's functionality? Megan Forbes CollectionSpace Program Manager megan.forbes@lyrasis.org 800.999.8558 x2917