talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

Log4j vulnerability impact?

ww@williwolf.net
Mon, Dec 13, 2021 5:58 PM

Hi, does the latest news on the log4j component security vulnerability have impacts on CollectionSpace administration and operations ?

Hi, does the latest news on the log4j component security vulnerability have impacts on CollectionSpace administration and operations ?
RL
Ray Lee
Mon, Dec 13, 2021 6:16 PM

Hi Willi,
CollectionSpace 6.0 and above have a vulnerable version of log4j. I'm still investigating the impact. I don't think unauthenticated users can supply a string that would be logged, but I need to confirm. I recommend adding this JVM startup option to mitigate:

-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true

In a standard installation, you can edit $CSPACE_JEESERVER_HOME/bin/setenv.sh, and add that to the JAVA_OPTS variable.

I'll put in patches to the 6.0 and above branches to upgrade to log4j 2.15.0 (which sets that property to true by default). After that you'll be able to rebuild the services layer to upgrade log4j.

Ray

Hi, does the latest news on the log4j component security vulnerability have impacts on CollectionSpace administration and operations ?

Hi Willi, CollectionSpace 6.0 and above have a vulnerable version of log4j. I'm still investigating the impact. I don't think unauthenticated users can supply a string that would be logged, but I need to confirm. I recommend adding this JVM startup option to mitigate: -Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true In a standard installation, you can edit $CSPACE_JEESERVER_HOME/bin/setenv.sh, and add that to the JAVA_OPTS variable. I'll put in patches to the 6.0 and above branches to upgrade to log4j 2.15.0 (which sets that property to true by default). After that you'll be able to rebuild the services layer to upgrade log4j. Ray ________________________________________ From: ww@williwolf.net <ww@williwolf.net> Sent: Monday, December 13, 2021 12:58 PM To: talk@lists.collectionspace.org Subject: [Talk] Log4j vulnerability impact? Hi, does the latest news on the log4j component security vulnerability have impacts on CollectionSpace administration and operations ?