talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

6.0 Installer hangs on "Make sure Elasticsearch is running before proceeding"

JP
Jonathan Piper
Wed, Aug 5, 2020 4:50 PM

Hello,

I'm attempting to install CollectionSpace 6. The installer returns a series of "ok"s until "Start Elasticsearch", which returns "changed." Then the installer hangs on "Make sure Elasticsearch is running before proceeding." I've tried restarting the installer several times, with no change. Is there anything I can check for? This is a freshly created and updated Ubuntu LTS 18 VM.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hello, I'm attempting to install CollectionSpace 6. The installer returns a series of "ok"s until "Start Elasticsearch", which returns "changed." Then the installer hangs on "Make sure Elasticsearch is running before proceeding." I've tried restarting the installer several times, with no change. Is there anything I can check for? This is a freshly created and updated Ubuntu LTS 18 VM. Thanks, Jonathan
MF
Megan Forbes
Sat, Aug 8, 2020 11:20 AM

Jonathan,

Mark Cooper, who developed the automated installer, passed on this response to your ElasticSearch problem. I've cc'd him here in case you have any additional questions:

When I went to run the installer I saw that the java role dependency was updated to default install java 11. I went ahead and preemptively updated the installer to pin to 8:

https://github.com/collectionspace/cspace-installer/commit/45de5986151cbaffe4cc75abc6f59042de86dd93https://github.com/collectionspace/cspace-installer/blob/pin-java8/group_vars/all.yml#L23-L25

Then I ran the installer and all appears to be well. No hiccups on ElasticSearch. So I think we want to ask Jonathan to remove / uninstall Java. Add the changes from the master branch, or use the latest master branch locally, then rerun the installer.

On the server the java verson should be 8:

java -version

openjdk version "1.8.0_265"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_265-8u265-b01-0ubuntu2~18.04-b01)

javac -version

javac 1.8.0_265

Megan Forbes
CollectionSpace Program Manager