talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

Fresh install. Works with core, but having difficulty with custom tenant login (v7.0)

MT
Ming Tsai
Sat, Nov 5, 2022 10:15 PM

Hi,
I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS.
I used the automated installer via ansible.

After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile
working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it.
Then I created my new tenant based on fcart.

Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant name.
Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the
original core profile login, where i can login to the core using
admin@core.collectionspace.org. There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that
doesn't work.

As per the 'troubleshooting' tips at the bottom of
https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593661043/Creating+your+new+tenant,
I can see that the tenant was created in the folders as the "
tenant-bindings.merged.xml" is present as is the "{tenant_short_name
}-tenant-bindings.delta.xml." Furthermore, there are entries also in the
postgresql tables for the new tenant.

Please let me know if you have experience with a similar issue and can
assist. Would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ming Tsai

P.S. I saw on that talk list that William Wolf had a similar problem with
Cspace v5.2 (Nov 2019), which he resolved by not testing his install before
creating a tenant....

P.P.S. A big ansible hiccup, which is not detailed directly in the
installation, is that v7.0 is not compatible with the current elasticsearch
v5.6.16. You must install an earlier version v1.7.4. Therefore, an
additional question is whether an update/upgrade, which would update the
elasticsearch to v5.6.16 post-installation would break the instance.

--
Ming-Yi Tsai, PhD
(he/him/his)

Gärtnerstrasse 46
CH-4057 Basel
Switzerland

[...]
Tue, Nov 8, 2022 10:58 AM

Hello again Cspace Talk listserv,

An update, for the record, on installing Cspace v7.0.

Briefly: Ansible install did not work for me. Only manual install worked.
Able to setup v7 w/custom new tenant. But, after adding Apache TLS/SSL
reverse proxy, can no longer login to admin or reader accounts. Please help.

Detailed summary:
Ultimately, I could not get the ansible created setup to create a new
tenant that was accessible. The only accessible cspace (after successful
tenant creation procedure) was still: admin@core.collectionspace.org and
NOT admin@mytenant.mydomain. So I followed William Wolf's approach, first
w/ansible, ie not testing the instance manually--and going right into new
tenant creation, but, as the ansible script apparently does do startup on
cspace, that didn't work either. Then following the manual instructions on
ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Without testing the instance, I went right into creation
of my custom tenant. This worked! and I could login to
admin@mytenant.mydomain w/Administrator password on site:
http://mydomain:8180/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. So that's great.

Next, I successfully changed the immutable passwords of the admin and
reader accounts. At this point, I decided to add apache tls/ssl reverse
proxy to my instance following:
https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593660998/Add+Apache+TLS+SSL+reverse+proxy+to+CollectionSpace

The process worked fine and now I could land on
https://mydomain/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. But problem is now that I
cannot log into either admin or reader accounts! some how the login process
no longer works after installation of ssl/tsl...

If any one has had similar problems and a solution, please let me know.

Thanks & best wishes,
Ming

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 11:15 PM Ming Tsai ming@tsaifoundation.org wrote:

[...]

Hello again Cspace Talk listserv, An update, for the record, on installing Cspace v7.0. Briefly: Ansible install did not work for me. Only manual install worked. Able to setup v7 w/custom new tenant. But, after adding Apache TLS/SSL reverse proxy, can no longer login to admin or reader accounts. Please help. Detailed summary: Ultimately, I could not get the ansible created setup to create a new tenant that was accessible. The only accessible cspace (after successful tenant creation procedure) was still: admin@core.collectionspace.org and NOT admin@mytenant.mydomain. So I followed William Wolf's approach, first w/ansible, ie not testing the instance manually--and going right into new tenant creation, but, as the ansible script apparently does do startup on cspace, that didn't work either. Then following the manual instructions on ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Without testing the instance, I went right into creation of my custom tenant. This worked! and I could login to admin@mytenant.mydomain w/Administrator password on site: http://mydomain:8180/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. So that's great. Next, I successfully changed the immutable passwords of the admin and reader accounts. At this point, I decided to add apache tls/ssl reverse proxy to my instance following: https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593660998/Add+Apache+TLS+SSL+reverse+proxy+to+CollectionSpace The process worked fine and now I could land on https://mydomain/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. But problem is now that I cannot log into either admin or reader accounts! some how the login process no longer works after installation of ssl/tsl... If any one has had similar problems and a solution, please let me know. Thanks & best wishes, Ming On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 11:15 PM Ming Tsai <ming@tsaifoundation.org> wrote: > Hi, > I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS. > I used the automated installer via ansible. > > After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile > working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it. > Then I created my new tenant based on fcart. > > Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant > name. Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the > original core profile login, where i can login to the core using > admin@core.collectionspace.org. There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that > doesn't work. > > As per the 'troubleshooting' tips at the bottom of > https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593661043/Creating+your+new+tenant, > I can see that the tenant was created in the folders as the " > tenant-bindings.merged.xml" is present as is the "{tenant_short_name > }-tenant-bindings.delta.xml." Furthermore, there are entries also in the > postgresql tables for the new tenant. > > Please let me know if you have experience with a similar issue and can > assist. Would appreciate it. > > Thanks, > Ming Tsai > > P.S. I saw on that talk list that William Wolf had a similar problem with > Cspace v5.2 (Nov 2019), which he resolved by not testing his install before > creating a tenant.... > > P.P.S. A big ansible hiccup, which is not detailed directly in the > installation, is that v7.0 is not compatible with the current elasticsearch > v5.6.16. You must install an earlier version v1.7.4. Therefore, an > additional question is whether an update/upgrade, which would update the > elasticsearch to v5.6.16 post-installation would break the instance. > > -- > Ming-Yi Tsai, PhD > (he/him/his) > Conservation Director > Tsai Art and Science Foundation > 565 Broadway #6E > New York, NY 10012 USA > www.tsaifoundation.org > > Gärtnerstrasse 46 > CH-4057 Basel > Switzerland >
MC
Mark Cooper
Sat, Nov 12, 2022 12:38 AM

Hi Ming,

The installer is primarily intended for standard tenant installs (i.e. core, fcart, anthro etc.). It's possible to use it to install a custom tenant, but that's not documented and is outside the scope of what we want the installer to do.

To your issue:

Ideally, start over.
Use the installer to install core. I believe you were already successful at this. Confirm core works.
Setup the custom tenant if you really need it (we recommend using a standard tenant for easier setup, maintenance and upgrades).

For the redirect issue with a custom tenant modify "/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/cspace.conf". Replace references to "core" with the tenant name. Restart Nginx.

For Elasticsearch 5.6 check the "Role gotchas" section of the readme. When the installer is tested for the upcoming 7.1 release we may be able to handle that better.

Best,
Mark

Mark Cooper
Technical Lead, Hosting and Support
LYRASIS

Ultimately, I could not get the ansible created setup to create a new tenant that was accessible. The only accessible cspace (after successful tenant creation procedure) was still: admin@core.collectionspace.orgmailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org and NOT admin@mytenant.mydomain. So I followed William Wolf's approach, first w/ansible, ie not testing the instance manually--and going right into new tenant creation, but, as the ansible script apparently does do startup on cspace, that didn't work either. Then following the manual instructions on ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Without testing the instance, I went right into creation of my custom tenant. This worked! and I could login to admin@mytenant.mydomain w/Administrator password on site: http://mydomain:8180/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. So that's great.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 11:15 PM Ming Tsai <ming@tsaifoundation.orgmailto:ming@tsaifoundation.org> wrote:
Hi,
I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS.
I used the automated installer via ansible.

After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it. Then I created my new tenant based on fcart.

Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant name. Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the original core profile login, where i can login to the core using admin@core.collectionspace.orgmailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org. There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that doesn't work.

[...]

www.tsaifoundation.orghttp://www.tsaifoundation.org

Gärtnerstrasse 46
CH-4057 Basel
Switzerland

Hi Ming, The installer is primarily intended for standard tenant installs (i.e. core, fcart, anthro etc.). It's possible to use it to install a custom tenant, but that's not documented and is outside the scope of what we want the installer to do. To your issue: Ideally, start over. Use the installer to install core. I believe you were already successful at this. Confirm core works. Setup the custom tenant if you really need it (we recommend using a standard tenant for easier setup, maintenance and upgrades). For the redirect issue with a custom tenant modify "/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/cspace.conf". Replace references to "core" with the tenant name. Restart Nginx. For Elasticsearch 5.6 check the "Role gotchas" section of the readme. When the installer is tested for the upcoming 7.1 release we may be able to handle that better. Best, Mark Mark Cooper Technical Lead, Hosting and Support LYRASIS ________________________________ From: Ming Tsai <ming@tsaifoundation.org> Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 2:58 AM To: talk@lists.collectionspace.org <talk@lists.collectionspace.org> Subject: [Talk] Re: Fresh install. Works with core, but having difficulty with custom tenant login (v7.0) Hello again Cspace Talk listserv, An update, for the record, on installing Cspace v7.0. Briefly: Ansible install did not work for me. Only manual install worked. Able to setup v7 w/custom new tenant. But, after adding Apache TLS/SSL reverse proxy, can no longer login to admin or reader accounts. Please help. Detailed summary: Ultimately, I could not get the ansible created setup to create a new tenant that was accessible. The only accessible cspace (after successful tenant creation procedure) was still: admin@core.collectionspace.org<mailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org> and NOT admin@mytenant.mydomain. So I followed William Wolf's approach, first w/ansible, ie not testing the instance manually--and going right into new tenant creation, but, as the ansible script apparently does do startup on cspace, that didn't work either. Then following the manual instructions on ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Without testing the instance, I went right into creation of my custom tenant. This worked! and I could login to admin@mytenant.mydomain w/Administrator password on site: http://mydomain:8180/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. So that's great. Next, I successfully changed the immutable passwords of the admin and reader accounts. At this point, I decided to add apache tls/ssl reverse proxy to my instance following: https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593660998/Add+Apache+TLS+SSL+reverse+proxy+to+CollectionSpace The process worked fine and now I could land on https://mydomain/cspace/mytenant/mydomain/login. But problem is now that I cannot log into either admin or reader accounts! some how the login process no longer works after installation of ssl/tsl... If any one has had similar problems and a solution, please let me know. Thanks & best wishes, Ming On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 11:15 PM Ming Tsai <ming@tsaifoundation.org<mailto:ming@tsaifoundation.org>> wrote: Hi, I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS. I used the automated installer via ansible. After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it. Then I created my new tenant based on fcart. Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant name. Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the original core profile login, where i can login to the core using admin@core.collectionspace.org<mailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org>. There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that doesn't work. As per the 'troubleshooting' tips at the bottom of https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593661043/Creating+your+new+tenant, I can see that the tenant was created in the folders as the "tenant-bindings.merged.xml" is present as is the "{tenant_short_name}-tenant-bindings.delta.xml." Furthermore, there are entries also in the postgresql tables for the new tenant. Please let me know if you have experience with a similar issue and can assist. Would appreciate it. Thanks, Ming Tsai P.S. I saw on that talk list that William Wolf had a similar problem with Cspace v5.2 (Nov 2019), which he resolved by not testing his install before creating a tenant.... P.P.S. A big ansible hiccup, which is not detailed directly in the installation, is that v7.0 is not compatible with the current elasticsearch v5.6.16. You must install an earlier version v1.7.4. Therefore, an additional question is whether an update/upgrade, which would update the elasticsearch to v5.6.16 post-installation would break the instance. -- Ming-Yi Tsai, PhD (he/him/his) Conservation Director Tsai Art and Science Foundation 565 Broadway #6E New York, NY 10012 USA www.tsaifoundation.org<http://www.tsaifoundation.org> Gärtnerstrasse 46 CH-4057 Basel Switzerland
RL
Ray Lee
Fri, Jan 6, 2023 11:34 PM

Hi Ming,
You're accessing the new tenant at /cspace/{tenant_short_name}, right? On the server, there should be a directory /opt/collectionspace/server/webapps/cspace#{tenant_short_name}. What are the contents of the index.html file in that directory?

Could you clarify your second question? Elasticsearch 5.6 should be compatible with 7.0. Is that not what is being installed?

Thanks,
Ray

[...]

Hi Ming, You're accessing the new tenant at /cspace/{tenant_short_name}, right? On the server, there should be a directory /opt/collectionspace/server/webapps/cspace#{tenant_short_name}. What are the contents of the index.html file in that directory? Could you clarify your second question? Elasticsearch 5.6 should be compatible with 7.0. Is that not what is being installed? Thanks, Ray ________________________________________ From: Ming Tsai <ming@tsaifoundation.org> Sent: Saturday, November 5, 2022 6:15 PM To: talk@lists.collectionspace.org Subject: [Talk] Fresh install. Works with core, but having difficulty with custom tenant login (v7.0) Hi, I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS. I used the automated installer via ansible. After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it. Then I created my new tenant based on fcart. Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant name. Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the original core profile login, where i can login to the core using admin@core.collectionspace.org<mailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org>. There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that doesn't work. As per the 'troubleshooting' tips at the bottom of https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593661043/Creating+your+new+tenant, I can see that the tenant was created in the folders as the "tenant-bindings.merged.xml" is present as is the "{tenant_short_name}-tenant-bindings.delta.xml." Furthermore, there are entries also in the postgresql tables for the new tenant. Please let me know if you have experience with a similar issue and can assist. Would appreciate it. Thanks, Ming Tsai P.S. I saw on that talk list that William Wolf had a similar problem with Cspace v5.2 (Nov 2019), which he resolved by not testing his install before creating a tenant.... P.P.S. A big ansible hiccup, which is not detailed directly in the installation, is that v7.0 is not compatible with the current elasticsearch v5.6.16. You must install an earlier version v1.7.4. Therefore, an additional question is whether an update/upgrade, which would update the elasticsearch to v5.6.16 post-installation would break the instance. -- Ming-Yi Tsai, PhD (he/him/his) Conservation Director Tsai Art and Science Foundation 565 Broadway #6E New York, NY 10012 USA www.tsaifoundation.org<http://www.tsaifoundation.org> Gärtnerstrasse 46 CH-4057 Basel Switzerland
MT
Ming Tsai
Tue, Jan 10, 2023 10:24 AM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding to my earlier query. It's been a while since my least
efforts on the migration, so I will need to get back into my new instance
and dig around to see where I left off.

I will get back to you as soon as I get reoriented.

Best wishes,
Ming

On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 12:34 AM Ray Lee ray.lee@lyrasis.org wrote:

[...]

Hi Ray, Thanks for responding to my earlier query. It's been a while since my least efforts on the migration, so I will need to get back into my new instance and dig around to see where I left off. I will get back to you as soon as I get reoriented. Best wishes, Ming On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 12:34 AM Ray Lee <ray.lee@lyrasis.org> wrote: > Hi Ming, > You're accessing the new tenant at /cspace/{tenant_short_name}, right? On > the server, there should be a directory > /opt/collectionspace/server/webapps/cspace#{tenant_short_name}. What are > the contents of the index.html file in that directory? > > Could you clarify your second question? Elasticsearch 5.6 should be > compatible with 7.0. Is that not what is being installed? > > Thanks, > Ray > > ________________________________________ > From: Ming Tsai <ming@tsaifoundation.org> > Sent: Saturday, November 5, 2022 6:15 PM > To: talk@lists.collectionspace.org > Subject: [Talk] Fresh install. Works with core, but having difficulty with > custom tenant login (v7.0) > > Hi, > I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS. > I used the automated installer via ansible. > > After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile > working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it. > Then I created my new tenant based on fcart. > > Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant > name. Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the > original core profile login, where i can login to the core using > admin@core.collectionspace.org<mailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org>. > There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that doesn't work. > > As per the 'troubleshooting' tips at the bottom of > https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593661043/Creating+your+new+tenant, > I can see that the tenant was created in the folders as the > "tenant-bindings.merged.xml" is present as is the > "{tenant_short_name}-tenant-bindings.delta.xml." Furthermore, there are > entries also in the postgresql tables for the new tenant. > > Please let me know if you have experience with a similar issue and can > assist. Would appreciate it. > > Thanks, > Ming Tsai > > P.S. I saw on that talk list that William Wolf had a similar problem with > Cspace v5.2 (Nov 2019), which he resolved by not testing his install before > creating a tenant.... > > P.P.S. A big ansible hiccup, which is not detailed directly in the > installation, is that v7.0 is not compatible with the current elasticsearch > v5.6.16. You must install an earlier version v1.7.4. Therefore, an > additional question is whether an update/upgrade, which would update the > elasticsearch to v5.6.16 post-installation would break the instance. > > -- > Ming-Yi Tsai, PhD > (he/him/his) > Conservation Director > Tsai Art and Science Foundation > 565 Broadway #6E > New York, NY 10012 USA > www.tsaifoundation.org<http://www.tsaifoundation.org> > > Gärtnerstrasse 46 > CH-4057 Basel > Switzerland >
MT
Ming Tsai
Tue, Jan 10, 2023 11:30 AM

Dear Ray,

Looked over my notes. Ultimately, the instance that I have running was not
created via Ansible but manually. The instance was fully accessible at
first at: http://cspace.tsaifoundation.eu:8180/cspace/tsaifdn/login

Then I went through the process of securing access by injecting new
passwords into respectively the admin and reader accounts, which worked
fine.

It is when I went to setup the tls/ssl reverse proxy on
cspace.tsaifoundation.eu (as per
https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/2593660998/Add+Apache+TLS+SSL+revers
e+proxy+to+CollectionSpace) that I was locked out of website access to
the instance. That url is now:
https://cspace.tsaifoundation.eu/cspace/tsaifdn/login

As per your request re the index.html file for the new tenant:
I logged into my instance and located the index.html file in directory:
/opt/collectionspace/apache-tomcat-8.5.51/webapps/cspace#tsaifdn/

The content of index.html is:

Hope that helps you see where my login problem might lie.

As far as the incompatibility of Elasticsearch 5.6 w CS 7.0, I have the
following notes from my work in November:

  • AGAIN hurdle with elasticsearch!
    - turns out that COLLECTIONSPACE does not work with newer versions
    of elasticsearch! (v5.6.16)
    - saw in confluence that you need to use an earlier version. I
    installed v1.7.4
    - downloaded the deb file and sftp'd it to the root directory of
    instance
    - installed it using: dpkg -i elasticsearch-1.7.4.deb
    - this solved the problem with elasticsearch not finding 'its main
    class...'
    - will place a hold on elastic search to prevent its being update:
    - sudo apt-mark hold elasticsearch
    - sudo apt-mark unhold elasticsearch
    - sudo apt-mark showhold

Thanks for your assistance. This migration process has been quite
challenging and is definitely pushing us to the limit.

With best wishes,
Ming

[...]

Wed, Jan 11, 2023 4:03 AM

Hi Ming,
Are you using Apache for your web server? What does the reverse proxy configuration look like?

CollectionSpace 7.0 does work with ES 5.6.16, and it almost certainly won't work with ES 1.7. You may have seen documentation from an older version; CSpace prior to version 5 used ES 1.7. Give 5.6 a try, and if you have any problems, let us know.

Thanks,
Ray

I am installing Cspace 7.0 on a linode w/Ubuntu 20.04LTS.
I used the automated installer via ansible.

After a number of hurdles with ansible, I was able to get the core profile working. logged in and created a group record, then searched and found it. Then I created my new tenant based on fcart.

Problem is that I cannot log into the new tenant using the new tenant name. Instead I land on a page where the login button redirects me to the original core profile login, where i can login to the core using admin@core.collectionspace.orgmailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org<mailto:admin@core.collectionspace.orgmailto:admin@core.collectionspace.org>. There I tried my admin@mydomain, but that doesn't work.

[...]

www.tsaifoundation.orghttp://www.tsaifoundation.orghttp://www.tsaifoundation.org

Gärtnerstrasse 46
CH-4057 Basel
Switzerland