talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

CollectionSpace upgrade and maintenace

EN
Eldon Neustaeter
Sat, Apr 25, 2020 1:10 PM

my name is Eldon Neustaeter. I am an IT Professional and a volunteer with British Columbia Aviation Museum.

We have an aged CollectionSpace installation that has not been maintained.
It is my intention to start maintaining it. They team there want to use it.

Step 1 was understanding it. Via the confluence wiki, I have learnt a lot. We are on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and CS 5.0

Step 2 was getting regular backups. I have an backup.sh running that is very basic.

  • pg_dumpall
  • tar up /home/installeduser ; /home/cspace ; /etc ; /boot ; /root ; /opt plus the SQL dump
  • I then rclone the whole mess to cloud storage

Step 3 is to create a working DR plan so that I can recover from any failed upgrade

  • this is where I am now.
  • I intend to do up the DR plan using Ubuntu 16.04 and CS 5.0 ; then upgrade and update the DR plan as I go
  • here I intend to test my DR plan on some alternative hardware
  • once I am confident I can use a backup from bring CS back to life, I will begin my upgrade

Step 4 will be upgrading

  • Ubuntu 16 need to upgrade to Ubuntu 18
  • CS needs to upgrade from 5 to 5.2
  • the exact steps here are a bit unclear

I am also offering up my services to help maintain Confluence documentation from a systems administrator perspective. I think once I figure this all out, documenting and helping others can only help the project.

My DR plan loosely looks like this:

The two questions marks above are my specific ask for this email. Can. you help?

//Eldon

my name is Eldon Neustaeter. I am an IT Professional and a volunteer with British Columbia Aviation Museum. We have an aged CollectionSpace installation that has not been maintained. It is my intention to start maintaining it. They team there want to use it. Step 1 was understanding it. Via the confluence wiki, I have learnt a lot. We are on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and CS 5.0 Step 2 was getting regular backups. I have an backup.sh running that is very basic. * pg_dumpall * tar up /home/installeduser ; /home/cspace ; /etc ; /boot ; /root ; /opt plus the SQL dump * I then rclone the whole mess to cloud storage Step 3 is to create a working DR plan so that I can recover from any failed upgrade * this is where I am now. * I intend to do up the DR plan using Ubuntu 16.04 and CS 5.0 ; then upgrade and update the DR plan as I go * here I intend to test my DR plan on some alternative hardware * once I am confident I can use a backup from bring CS back to life, I will begin my upgrade Step 4 will be upgrading * Ubuntu 16 need to upgrade to Ubuntu 18 * CS needs to upgrade from 5 to 5.2 * the exact steps here are a bit unclear I am also offering up my services to help maintain Confluence documentation from a systems administrator perspective. I think once I figure this all out, documenting and helping others can only help the project. My DR plan loosely looks like this: * take bare metal and install Ubuntu 16.04 * install CS 5.0 as per https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CSPACE50/pages/665882930/Automated+installer+for+CollectionSpace * restore data * ??? which directories need to be copied back in to restore? * ??? which databases need to be restored, CSPACE and NUXEO both? The two questions marks above are my specific ask for this email. Can. you help? //Eldon
RL
Ray Lee
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 2:42 PM

Hi Eldon,
Welcome to the CollectionSpace community. To answer your questions:

From the filesystem, you need to restore the nuxeo-server/data directory under tomcat. That's where user-uploaded files are stored.

Yes, you need to restore both the cspace db (users, roles, and permissions) and the nuxeo db (record data). If you're running a multi-tenant system, there is one nuxeo db per tenant.

Ray

[...]

Hi Eldon, Welcome to the CollectionSpace community. To answer your questions: >From the filesystem, you need to restore the nuxeo-server/data directory under tomcat. That's where user-uploaded files are stored. Yes, you need to restore both the cspace db (users, roles, and permissions) and the nuxeo db (record data). If you're running a multi-tenant system, there is one nuxeo db per tenant. Ray ________________________________________ From: Talk <talk-bounces@lists.collectionspace.org> on behalf of Eldon Neustaeter <eldon@bcam.net> Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 9:10 AM To: talk@lists.collectionspace.org Subject: [Talk] CollectionSpace upgrade and maintenace my name is Eldon Neustaeter. I am an IT Professional and a volunteer with British Columbia Aviation Museum. We have an aged CollectionSpace installation that has not been maintained. It is my intention to start maintaining it. They team there want to use it. Step 1 was understanding it. Via the confluence wiki, I have learnt a lot. We are on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and CS 5.0 Step 2 was getting regular backups. I have an backup.sh running that is very basic. * pg_dumpall * tar up /home/installeduser ; /home/cspace ; /etc ; /boot ; /root ; /opt plus the SQL dump * I then rclone the whole mess to cloud storage Step 3 is to create a working DR plan so that I can recover from any failed upgrade * this is where I am now. * I intend to do up the DR plan using Ubuntu 16.04 and CS 5.0 ; then upgrade and update the DR plan as I go * here I intend to test my DR plan on some alternative hardware * once I am confident I can use a backup from bring CS back to life, I will begin my upgrade Step 4 will be upgrading * Ubuntu 16 need to upgrade to Ubuntu 18 * CS needs to upgrade from 5 to 5.2 * the exact steps here are a bit unclear I am also offering up my services to help maintain Confluence documentation from a systems administrator perspective. I think once I figure this all out, documenting and helping others can only help the project. My DR plan loosely looks like this: * take bare metal and install Ubuntu 16.04 * install CS 5.0 as per https://collectionspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CSPACE50/pages/665882930/Automated+installer+for+CollectionSpace * restore data * ??? which directories need to be copied back in to restore? * ??? which databases need to be restored, CSPACE and NUXEO both? The two questions marks above are my specific ask for this email. Can. you help? //Eldon