talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

CSpace Issues at Bolinas Museum—Suggestions Welcome

KL
Kirston Lightowler
Thu, Jul 9, 2020 7:53 PM

Hello, All—

The Bolinas Museum has been running CollectionSpace since 2017. During that
time we haven't had any upgrades or maintenance.

We are running CSpace Version 4.3 (Tomcat7, Postgres 9.3) and the Django
webapps (version 2.x, Python 2.7, and Solr4) on Ubuntu 14.04 on EC2 in the
Amazon Cloud.  We have been told that all of our code is now "End of Life":
the OS, Java, Postgres, Python, and Solr.

Since January of this year (and perhaps even earlier), we have been
experiencing issues with CSpace and I'm hoping the community might be able
to provide us with some guidance on troubleshooting the issues and/or
suggesting next steps towards a solution.

The system has been crashing periodically, and more frequently for the last
two months — in some cases crashing multiple times per week. We have a
developer, a friend of the Museum, who has been able to help us get the
instance back up and running. But so far we've not been able to identify
the root issue and fix the problem.

We are considering migrating to a new CMS, but wonder if anyone in the
community has suggestions: should upgrade our version of CSpace? What that
would entail? Can the crashes be debugged so at least we can have a stable
if antiquated system? What about migrating to another CMS?

Warmly,

Kirston

--

::

Kirston Lightowler

Registrar & Visual Materials Archivist

Bolinas Museum

48 Wharf Road | PO Box 450

Bolinas, CA  94924

kirston@bolinasmuseum.org

(415) 868-0330 ext 5#

[...]
MF
Megan Forbes
Mon, Jul 13, 2020 9:53 AM

Kirston,

Thanks for getting in touch, and I'm sorry that you've been experiencing such issues with your CSpace instance. I'll reach out to you off the talk list so we can set up a time to have a call and see what your options might be.

Best regards,
Megan

Megan Forbes
CollectionSpace Program Manager
megan.forbes@lyrasis.org
917.267.9676 Cell
meganbforbes Skype

[...]

kirston@bolinasmuseum.orgmailto:kirston@bolinasmuseum.org

(415) 868-0330 ext 5#

Kirston, Thanks for getting in touch, and I'm sorry that you've been experiencing such issues with your CSpace instance. I'll reach out to you off the talk list so we can set up a time to have a call and see what your options might be. Best regards, Megan Megan Forbes CollectionSpace Program Manager megan.forbes@lyrasis.org 917.267.9676 Cell meganbforbes Skype ________________________________ From: Talk <talk-bounces@lists.collectionspace.org> on behalf of Kirston Lightowler <kirston@bolinasmuseum.org> Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:53 PM To: talk@lists.collectionspace.org <talk@lists.collectionspace.org> Subject: [Talk] CSpace Issues at Bolinas Museum—Suggestions Welcome Hello, All— The Bolinas Museum has been running CollectionSpace since 2017. During that time we haven't had any upgrades or maintenance. We are running CSpace Version 4.3 (Tomcat7, Postgres 9.3) and the Django webapps (version 2.x, Python 2.7, and Solr4) on Ubuntu 14.04 on EC2 in the Amazon Cloud. We have been told that all of our code is now "End of Life": the OS, Java, Postgres, Python, and Solr. Since January of this year (and perhaps even earlier), we have been experiencing issues with CSpace and I'm hoping the community might be able to provide us with some guidance on troubleshooting the issues and/or suggesting next steps towards a solution. The system has been crashing periodically, and more frequently for the last two months — in some cases crashing multiple times per week. We have a developer, a friend of the Museum, who has been able to help us get the instance back up and running. But so far we've not been able to identify the root issue and fix the problem. We are considering migrating to a new CMS, but wonder if anyone in the community has suggestions: should upgrade our version of CSpace? What that would entail? Can the crashes be debugged so at least we can have a stable if antiquated system? What about migrating to another CMS? Warmly, Kirston -- :: Kirston Lightowler Registrar & Visual Materials Archivist Bolinas Museum 48 Wharf Road | PO Box 450 Bolinas, CA 94924 kirston@bolinasmuseum.org<mailto:kirston@bolinasmuseum.org> (415) 868-0330 ext 5#