talk@lists.collectionspace.org

Targeted discussion among implementers and between implementers and the CollectionSpace development team

View all threads

Question regarding location and search

JR
Jessica Régimbald
Mon, Jul 10, 2023 4:09 PM

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help me but here is my pressing question. I would like to be able to do a search on collection space to find everything contained in a space. What I mean is our locations authorities are written as so: Building:floor:room:storage bin ( i.e. McLennan:00:MS-11B:B01A). I would like to be able to create a list of all artwork contained in a specific building or specific room in a building. How would it be possible for me to do that? The search field only allows me to search for a complete authority location. We have 3500 artworks spread over 90 buildings on campus. We are setting up a survey program and we would like to create lists of artworks contained in every building or room or floor.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jessica Régimbald | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | Université McGill University | Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/

[...]
MT
Michael T Black
Mon, Jul 10, 2023 7:36 PM

Hi Jessica,

 (popping in with a user's perspective): In our museum's implementation

of CSpace, we've added a read-only custom field to the Collection Object
record that displays the most recent Inventory/Movement record as "Current
location." If you did the same, you could search for the appropriate
substring to find everything currently in any given room, floor, or
building.

--
Michael Black, Ph.D.
Head of Research and Information

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jessica Régimbald <
jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jessica, (popping in with a user's perspective): In our museum's implementation of CSpace, we've added a read-only custom field to the Collection Object record that displays the most recent Inventory/Movement record as "Current location." If you did the same, you could search for the appropriate substring to find everything currently in any given room, floor, or building. -- Michael Black, Ph.D. Head of Research and Information Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology University of California, Berkeley mtblack@berkeley.edu <https://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/> On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jessica Régimbald < jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> wrote: > Hello, > > I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help me but here is my > pressing question. I would like to be able to do a search on collection > space to find everything contained in a space. What I mean is our locations > authorities are written as so: Building:floor:room:storage bin ( i.e. > McLennan:00:MS-11B:B01A). I would like to be able to create a list of all > artwork contained in a specific building or specific room in a building. > How would it be possible for me to do that? The search field only allows me > to search for a complete authority location. We have 3500 artworks spread > over 90 buildings on campus. We are setting up a survey program and we > would like to create lists of artworks contained in every building or room > or floor. > > Thanks in advance for your help. > > *Jessica Régimbald* | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / > Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | *Université McGill* > *University *| Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | > McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 > McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: > 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | > http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/ > > > _______________________________________________ > Talk mailing list -- talk@lists.collectionspace.org > To unsubscribe send an email to talk-leave@lists.collectionspace.org >
CH
Chris Hoffman
Mon, Jul 10, 2023 7:56 PM

Hi Jessica and Michael,

At Berkeley, we also addressed some of this kind of requirement through the
development of reports. That comes with its own headaches of course, but if
you have that capability, it could be an option.

Regards,
Chris Hoffman
UC Berkeley

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:36 PM Michael T Black mtblack@berkeley.edu
wrote:

[...]

Hi Jessica and Michael, At Berkeley, we also addressed some of this kind of requirement through the development of reports. That comes with its own headaches of course, but if you have that capability, it could be an option. Regards, Chris Hoffman UC Berkeley On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:36 PM Michael T Black <mtblack@berkeley.edu> wrote: > Hi Jessica, > > (popping in with a user's perspective): In our museum's > implementation of CSpace, we've added a read-only custom field to the > Collection Object record that displays the most recent Inventory/Movement > record as "Current location." If you did the same, you could search for the > appropriate substring to find everything currently in any given room, > floor, or building. > > -- > Michael Black, Ph.D. > Head of Research and Information > Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology > University of California, Berkeley > mtblack@berkeley.edu > <https://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/> > > On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jessica Régimbald < > jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> wrote: > >> Hello, >> >> I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help me but here is my >> pressing question. I would like to be able to do a search on collection >> space to find everything contained in a space. What I mean is our locations >> authorities are written as so: Building:floor:room:storage bin ( i.e. >> McLennan:00:MS-11B:B01A). I would like to be able to create a list of all >> artwork contained in a specific building or specific room in a building. >> How would it be possible for me to do that? The search field only allows me >> to search for a complete authority location. We have 3500 artworks spread >> over 90 buildings on campus. We are setting up a survey program and we >> would like to create lists of artworks contained in every building or room >> or floor. >> >> Thanks in advance for your help. >> >> *Jessica Régimbald* | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / >> Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | *Université >> McGill* *University *| Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | >> McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 >> McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: >> 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | >> http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/ >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Talk mailing list -- talk@lists.collectionspace.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to talk-leave@lists.collectionspace.org >> > _______________________________________________ > Talk mailing list -- talk@lists.collectionspace.org > To unsubscribe send an email to talk-leave@lists.collectionspace.org >
JR
Jessica Régimbald
Mon, Jul 10, 2023 7:57 PM

Thank you for the answer.

In our object record, we have a "computed current location". This displays the location of the artwork. It uses a location authority and when searching using the advanced search, using the "computed current location" field, I can only search for "is, is not, is blank or is not blank". I can not search "contains".

mtblack@berkeley.edumailto:mtblack@berkeley.edu
[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1HOHL6z3VCXtc4a_g3npoWn4ECGi2MoQY&revid=0B0XpjHs2G_OIZ2ZvNE0ySlhKRmR3cE9EcEtEM1YwQ3RVdWRrPQ]https://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jessica Régimbald <jessica.regimbald@mcgill.camailto:jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the answer. In our object record, we have a "computed current location". This displays the location of the artwork. It uses a location authority and when searching using the advanced search, using the "computed current location" field, I can only search for "is, is not, is blank or is not blank". I can not search "contains". Jessica Régimbald | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | Université McGill University | Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/ ________________________________ From: Michael T Black <mtblack@berkeley.edu> Sent: Monday, July 10, 2023 15:36 To: Jessica Régimbald <jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> Cc: talk@lists.collectionspace.org <talk@lists.collectionspace.org> Subject: Re: [Talk] Question regarding location and search You don't often get email from mtblack@berkeley.edu. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification> Hi Jessica, (popping in with a user's perspective): In our museum's implementation of CSpace, we've added a read-only custom field to the Collection Object record that displays the most recent Inventory/Movement record as "Current location." If you did the same, you could search for the appropriate substring to find everything currently in any given room, floor, or building. -- Michael Black, Ph.D. Head of Research and Information Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology University of California, Berkeley mtblack@berkeley.edu<mailto:mtblack@berkeley.edu> [https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1HOHL6z3VCXtc4a_g3npoWn4ECGi2MoQY&revid=0B0XpjHs2G_OIZ2ZvNE0ySlhKRmR3cE9EcEtEM1YwQ3RVdWRrPQ]<https://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/> On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jessica Régimbald <jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca<mailto:jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca>> wrote: Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help me but here is my pressing question. I would like to be able to do a search on collection space to find everything contained in a space. What I mean is our locations authorities are written as so: Building:floor:room:storage bin ( i.e. McLennan:00:MS-11B:B01A). I would like to be able to create a list of all artwork contained in a specific building or specific room in a building. How would it be possible for me to do that? The search field only allows me to search for a complete authority location. We have 3500 artworks spread over 90 buildings on campus. We are setting up a survey program and we would like to create lists of artworks contained in every building or room or floor. Thanks in advance for your help. Jessica Régimbald | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | Université McGill University | Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/ _______________________________________________ Talk mailing list -- talk@lists.collectionspace.org<mailto:talk@lists.collectionspace.org> To unsubscribe send an email to talk-leave@lists.collectionspace.org<mailto:talk-leave@lists.collectionspace.org>
MT
Michael T Black
Mon, Jul 10, 2023 8:20 PM

Hi Jessica,

 Sorry about that—I forgot a critical step: we do most of our searching

through our Portal, or through web apps and reports that do allow
substring searching.

Michael

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:57 PM Jessica Régimbald <
[...]

Hi Jessica, Sorry about that—I forgot a critical step: we do most of our searching through our Portal, or through web apps and reports that *do* allow substring searching. Michael On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:57 PM Jessica Régimbald < jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> wrote: > Thank you for the answer. > > In our object record, we have a "computed current location". This displays > the location of the artwork. It uses a location authority and when > searching using the advanced search, using the "computed current location" > field, I can only search for "is, is not, is blank or is not blank". I can > not search "contains". > > > > *Jessica Régimbald* | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / > Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | *Université McGill* > *University *| Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | > McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 > McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: > 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | > http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/ > > ------------------------------ > *From:* Michael T Black <mtblack@berkeley.edu> > *Sent:* Monday, July 10, 2023 15:36 > *To:* Jessica Régimbald <jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> > *Cc:* talk@lists.collectionspace.org <talk@lists.collectionspace.org> > *Subject:* Re: [Talk] Question regarding location and search > > You don't often get email from mtblack@berkeley.edu. Learn why this is > important <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification> > Hi Jessica, > > (popping in with a user's perspective): In our museum's > implementation of CSpace, we've added a read-only custom field to the > Collection Object record that displays the most recent Inventory/Movement > record as "Current location." If you did the same, you could search for the > appropriate substring to find everything currently in any given room, > floor, or building. > > -- > Michael Black, Ph.D. > Head of Research and Information > Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology > University of California, Berkeley > mtblack@berkeley.edu > <https://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/> > > On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jessica Régimbald < > jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca> wrote: > > Hello, > > I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help me but here is my > pressing question. I would like to be able to do a search on collection > space to find everything contained in a space. What I mean is our locations > authorities are written as so: Building:floor:room:storage bin ( i.e. > McLennan:00:MS-11B:B01A). I would like to be able to create a list of all > artwork contained in a specific building or specific room in a building. > How would it be possible for me to do that? The search field only allows me > to search for a complete authority location. We have 3500 artworks spread > over 90 buildings on campus. We are setting up a survey program and we > would like to create lists of artworks contained in every building or room > or floor. > > Thanks in advance for your help. > > *Jessica Régimbald* | Collection Manager, Visual Arts Collection / > Gestionnaire de collection, Collection d’arts visuel | *Université McGill* > *University *| Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | > McLennan Building, Room M4-26 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M4-26 | 3459 > McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: > 514.398.2845 | jessica.regimbald@mcgill.ca | > http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/ > > > _______________________________________________ > Talk mailing list -- talk@lists.collectionspace.org > To unsubscribe send an email to talk-leave@lists.collectionspace.org > >